Intern graduation project ‘Geotechnical Analysis’ at Fugro
Intern graduation project ‘Geotechnical Analysis’
Our Fugro Innovation and Technology Centre (FIT) in Nootdorp (Netherlands), is looking for a full time Intern for a graduation project: Geotechnical analysis with CPT data from North Sea area’.
FIT is a dynamic international team within the Fugro group. A significant part of our research focuses on developing smart solutions that better utilize Geo-data and data analysis capabilities with the aim to support the energy transition, such as offshore wind power development. The North Sea is one of the areas where large scale wind farm development is ongoing. Fugro is one of the key players in this region providing key services in support of these developments such as metocean monitoring programs and geophysical and geotechnical site surveys.
In the past our services were mainly focused at a specific project site. Now we want to look at the North Sea region from big-picture perspective and try to leverage our extensive data sets to extract information that can help our clients to operate within the North Sea region as a whole. We aim to extract trends, correlations and ground models that are suitable for the area as a whole, and allow to accelerate for example site selection and preliminary design.
- The objective of your thesis is to use existing cone penetration test (CPT) data from several offshore wind farm sites to establish correlations between geological units and geotechnical parameters.
- Simple clustering analysis of each geotechnical parameter within several soil units can be applied to create 3D maps.
- The first step is to create a consistent database of historical CPT data for the selected wind farm sites in liaison with Geo-consulting Teams within Fugro. This activity will involve aspects of data cleaning and defining a common procedure for post-processing of different CPT data types.
- The acquired database can then be analysed by applying various statistical calculations to validate the consistency of the data and acquire initial information on trends and characteristics within the selected region.
- More advanced analysis can be considered together with our data science experts to extract information relevant for companies involved in wind farm development operating within the region.
- You are a geotechnical graduation student and you are starting your master;
- You can start a.s.a.p. or September 2021 at the latest;
- You have knowledge of geotechnical principles;
- You have knowledge on mathematics and statistical analysis;
- You can write simple scripts in Python.
What Fugro offers
- The opportunity to work with Fugro’s experts and Innovation Teams;
- To gain domain related knowledge;
- To gain experience in a working environment in a multinational;
- Personal guidance focused on your learning goals and points for development;
- An appropriate compensation following the Dutch internships regulations.
- You will receive an automated confirmation-email of the receipt of your application;
- When we see a match, we will invite you for an interview within a couple of days. Of course, you will also receive a message if we will not invite you;
- If we are both positive after this interview, we will finalize details and offer you the internship;
- And with that we hope to welcome you as an Intern at Fugro!